Re: Status of GCC 3.2 and java?

Michael Schuerig <schuerig@acm.org> writes:

> Rupa Schomaker wrote:
>
>> Will there be a version of the JDK that is built with GCC 3.2?

We have released a gcc-3.2 based build a week ago.  It's not available
as a .deb yet.

>> Now that the transition is on-going in unstable, it would be nice
>> to be able to get the JDK in sync with the rest.
>
> The relevant changes to gcc affect g++, the C++ compiler, and break
> binary compatibility with earlier versions. This does not affect C
> programs and libraries. The JDK does not use C++, so there's no
> compatibility problem.

Actually it uses C++ in some parts: Java Plug-In, HotSpot,
libfontmanager.so.

>> eg: You can't use the java plugin with Mozilla anymore because
>> Mozilla is being built with 3.2.

Only the mozilla-snapshot packages are built with gcc-3.2, the
"normal" mozilla packages are still built with gcc-2.95.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/