Re: Package "Servlet Runner"?

> - -- Arnaud Vandyck
> You are right, I think we should build a virtual package to provide a
> java web server looking for web applications (.war) in
> /usr/share/java/webapps/ (if I recall).

Sounds great! Each web app must implement this virtual package, like the
"normal" Java applications and the "java-common" package.

One question remains, from my point of view: What about "non-WAR applications",
i.e. extracted ones? There are applications which must write into some working
directories or which need to be configured using some .properties or XML file
(which - of course - reside somewhere in the /etc directory but need to be
accessible by the web app, i.e. linked into the extracted web app directory).
Because WAR (i.e. ZIP) files can't contain soft links, those apps need to be
extracted. And they probably need other common Java libraries from the
/usr/share/java folder which themselves can't be linked into the WAR file too.

Imagine the following situation:
/usr/share/java/webapps/:
  my-database-webapp/
    index.html
    some-database-site.jsp
    cache/ -> /var/lib/tomcat/webapps/my-database-webapp/cache/
    WEB-INF/
      web.xml
      my-database-webapp.xml -> /etc/my-database-webapp.xml
      lib/
        my-database-webapp.jar
        mysql.jar -> /usr/share/java/mysql.jar
        xercesImpl.jar -> /usr/share/java/xercesImpl.jar
        xmlParserAPIs.jar -> /usr/share/java/xmlParserAPIs.jar

Does this help you to understand my question?
Of course one could build a web app using its own class loader and a lot of hard
coded, absolute paths, but this doesn't make any sense, especially not for small
or tiny web apps!

Florian

Florian Steinsiepe
florian@steinsiepe.ch

--
This message was sent using Sake Mail, a web-based email tool from
Endymion Corporation.  http://www.endymion.com/products/sake