Re: log4j version

Hello

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 05:56:10PM -0500, Tony Simone wrote:
> Hi all.  I've been working on OpenNMS packages for Debian, and have been
> supplying them from the opennms.org site for now.  I recently ran into a
> build problem with the latest OpenNMS version that has prompted this
> message.  I realized that Debian/sid is currently using log4j version
> 1.1b7, which is very out of date.  The latest OpenNMS uses 1.2.7, and
> when I try to run it with tomcat4 4.1.18 everything explodes.  When I
> replaced the 1.1b7 log4j.jar with 1.2.7 version, everything worked
> fine.  Is there any chance log4j will get updated soon?
>
> I see that Ola Lundqvist has recently taken over liblog4j, since it went
> w/o update for some time.  Ola is obviously very busy with a big list of

Well I have had log4j for a long long time.

> packages already, so I don't mean any disrespect when I humbly beg for a
> new version.  :)  If it's not too painful of any undertaking (opennms
> sure was), I will try my hand at packaging the latest version of log4j
> and see what happens.  If Ola or anyone else is already close to
> finishing this, please let me know so I don't burn out any more brain
> cells.  Feedback and thoughts appreciated.  Thanks!

You are very welcome to take it over.

But before you do, you should contact Jesse Stockall <jesse_dev@yahoo.com>,
that is (according to some of my logs) preparing new packages. Obviously
this seems to have stalled.

The package should also be renamed to liblog4-java. But there are a couple
of packages that depend on liblog4j that should be fixed if the package
is renamed.

Regards,

// Ola