Re: JAVA_HOME policy

> Is this the concensus?  You have been my only response so far.  Since
> JAVA_HOME is so common, I hope mention of it would be made in the java
> policy documentation.

Well I agree with Andrew.  AIUI, JAVA_HOME is not appropriate for java
interpreters such as gij or some of the other free alternatives.  Thus it
should not be relied on in startup scripts, etc for java apps.

> 1- to find the location of the 'java' command
> [ ... ]
> #1 is really unnecessary.  I can definitely understand changing startup
> scripts and such to use /usr/bin/java or just 'java', allowing PATH and
> alternatives to take care of the rest.  Problem solved.

I agree on this; the alternatives system is there to deal with this issue.

Can't say much about the tools.jar issue; I don't know what it provides and
how standardised that is.

Ben.