Re: JAVA_HOME policy?

Oooh--I'll answer this!

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 05:03:32PM -0500, Joe Phillips wrote:
> I've seen package after package (mine included) depend on a
> JAVA_HOME environment variable set somewhere, in some script.
> Most packages seem to use a config file or init-script to define a
> local JAVA_HOME.  Source packages often have JAVA_HOME coded into
> debian/rules.

Any package that depends on JAVA_HOME should be taken out and shot.
Or, more politely, when it is packaged for Debian, those portions
should be excised.

> I'm wondering if there's a better way to handle JAVA_HOME.

Figure out what these packages really "need" JAVA_HOME for, and
figure out how we can provide that in a general way, that can be
supported by all java implementations (with emphasis on the free
ones).

Andrew