Re: Java packaging

Hallo Daniel,

* Daniel Bonniot wrote:
>That's great. Will you keep both 2.1 and 3.0 in parallel in Debian, or
>simply upgrade the packages to 3.0?

My current planing looks like this:
* split the package into at several source packages, so that swt-gtk
  and the eclipse compiler can go to main and the rest is split into
  smaller packages (RCP/Platform, JDT/PDE).
* do the packaging with CVS (I'm fed up with downloading 60+ MB) and
  with a 'to be deeloped' script, which generates the build.xml for
  some features (basicly done by the eclipse.pde.build plugin).

SWT is actually ready to keep both version installed, but I think that
I don't want to have the problems of two eclispe versions installed.
If it's as easy as changing /usr/{local/,}{lib,share}/eclipse into
eclipse3.0, then I could probably maintain both versions.  But I
suspect that there arn't that many reasons to keep the old 2.1 builds
around, when you can have the latest and greatest. Especially with
eclipse, where you have very rapid development and newer version
really have some great new features.

I will probably shrink the eclipse2.1 builds to a 'swt2.1' build, so
that I can keep the library (which is needed by one ITP), if the 3.0
SWT implementation isn't backward compatible (which I don't suspect,
SWT is very strict in that respect)

Anyway, I will be away over Xmas and I hope that I can do some work
straigt after new year. The next available date will then be end of
february (after my exams...).

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net