Re: [ANN] New version of j2se-package (formerly mpkg-j2sdk)

From: Hubert Schmid <hubert.schmid@stud.uka.de>
Subject: Re: [ANN] New version of j2se-package (formerly mpkg-j2sdk)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:53:00 +0100 (CET)
> [alternate name for "j2se-package"]
> > Maybe most of people like mpkg-xx name. I suggest 'mpkg-j2se'. It's
> > more intuitive.
>
> Okay. I'm overruled. The script will be renamed into 'mpkg-j2se'. Should
> the package also be called 'mpkg-j2se'?

Of course. You said package name and scirpt should be same already:)
Well, regarding Jan's mail, j2se may be not familier for some
people. This is really nit picks, but mpkg-java maybe better.

> Another question: Jan proposed (in private mail) to rename the created
> package "sun-j2sdk1.4" into "sun-j2sdk1.4upstream" (or something similar)
> and to rename the peer package from "sun-j2sdk1.4debian" into
> "sun-j2sdk1.4"? In his opinion, this solves some problems with
> dependences and the proposal for the new java policy.
>
> Any comments on this proposal?

IMO, separated package is unfriendly for user (but it seems frendly
for developers Hubert already mentioned). I prefer building single
package for user and if I can, I don't want to upload each peer
packages like sun-xxx,and ibm-xxx.

This is related about Gybas's worry about a lot of small packages.

regards,

Takashi Okamoto