Installing a Java VM on Debian

Greetings List,

I am having to install a Java VM on my Debian shell server for a couple of
clients who have requested it.

I note when looking through the package lists that there quite a few GPL
java environments available:

* gij
* kaffe
* sablevm
* Blackdown JDK
* IBM JDK 1.1.8

and several compilers including:

* gcj
* jikes

and obviously the ones provided inside the VM packages themselves.

Besides speed and performance, what is the difference between the above
virtual machines, and is one better to use than another in terms of
stability and being able to run pretty much any java app you throw at it.

I am also looking to install a JSP engine on the web server, either Resin or
Tomcat depending on demand, and wish to know which would be the best VM to
run with that also.

Any comments or feedback would greatly be appreciated.

To avoid cluttering up the list with info that might not be of interest to
most people, you can email me off list at djstatik@djstatik.net

Thanks