Re: [PROPOSAL] 4. RfD for a new debian java policy

Hallo Ben

* Ben Burton wrote:
>Since the proposed policy mandates that programs use both these scripts
>(section 2.6), I would really like to see working implementations of
>each of these *before* we look at making this proposal into policy.

A first java-config script is already online:
http://www.katzien.de/debian/java/

It's not ready and doe not reflect the latest proposal. I will do the
findjava script either today or tomorrow.

>I'm not sure I follow here.  So if I know my app works with kaffe and
>gij, and I depend on kaffe and gij, I'm not allowed to simply do
>something like: [...]
>but rather I am forced to go through this findjava script?

Yes: The findjava script will let you *overwrite* your 'known working
VMs' and will let the user choose one default VM, which will be used,
when it is include in your list of 'known working VMs'.

>>    The /usr/bin/java-config programm should be used to setup the
>>    classpath.
>Again, if my app provides its own JAR and requires nothing else, I'm not
>allowed to simply
>  export CLASSPATH=/path/to/my/jar
>but rather I am forced to go through java-config?

In this case you don't need that. Somwhere further down I wrote 'apps
may use the java-config system to setup their classpath' (or so, I'm in
a hurry).

Maybe it should be reworded to:
|If you need jars outside of your own package, the java-config programm
|should be used to setup the classpath.

I'm not a english native speaker, so maybe you could find a better
wording for that. I would appreceate that very much!

>What do you mean precisely, state this at runtime?  And what do you mean
>"need to" - is this must, should or may?  I personally would propose
>this as a "may" - to mandate that programs output what is essentially
>debugging information seems a bit much to me.

'need to' ist not a 'must' or 'should'.

But this is usually the first answer I reply to every bugreport... In
my latest internal, I simple output that to the console as usually
every bugreporter sends me that bits.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net