Re: Compiling java debian packages with free tools

On Thursday 11 September 2003 09:37, Mark Howard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:33:39PM +0200, John Leuner wrote:
> > I feel that despite whatever decisions we make about free and non-free
> > VMs and tools etc, we should firstly pay attention to simply compiling
> > our software with free tools and against free libraries or free APIs.
>
> Doesn't this happen already? Please give examples. If it can be compiled
> with free software but isn't, what severity bug should we file? Should
> poilcy say that free compilers must be used if they can?

If they are in contrib or even non-free, then they do not violate any policy,
so important maybe, but I would say just normal... and certainly not
something higher... BTW, is there a bug tracking system for
mentors.debian.net? If not, I've got two Java programs and one library for
which I can use a sponsor...

> > I haven't discussed the question of whether it is correct for a program
> > that can be compiled with free software but not run with free software
> > to go into main.
>
> It is not.

Agreed. BTW, the debian build deamons won't be able to make it anyway... which
is required to enter main, or not?

Egon