Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

> >>From debian I'd expect a policy that helps and guides java
> >>apps/libs/jvm
> >maintainers to build and package their stuff with a focus on free
> >VMs, gives pointers who to get in topuch with if things don't work,
> >has a section on free java developers working on providing a free
> >java infrastructure and how to contribute to it, and  provides the
> >necessary bits of information on how to deal with the legacy,
> >proprietary VMs. Certainly not the other way round ;)
>
> This is not the primary goal of the policy IMO. The policy is for
> describing *how* a package should look like, a kind of ruleset, which
> packages have to comply to. Nothing more, nothing less.

FWIW (DFSG, point 4):

  "We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
  community. We will place their interests first in our priorities."

I would therefore very much expect Java policy to be designed with free
JVMs as the focus, not as an afterthought.

b. :)