Re: [PROPOSAL] 3. RfD on new debian java policy

Hallo Ben,

* Ben Burton wrote:
>> Java libraries must depend on the needed working runtime
>> environments, including the virtual package names of working
>> versions of the "unfree" bin/java interface.
>If you're going to mandate that developers keep a list of working JVMs
>for their dependencies, you should probably mandate that one of these
>working JVMs be used in the startup script.  Having a JVM installed on
>the system (via a depends) has no bearing on whether an app's startup
>script actually calls one of these working JVMs.

You mean something like

|You must depend on all working java virtual maschines and search all
|this packages for the java virtual maschine binary.

I thought that this was fairly obvious... I mean, it's pretty stupit
if not :)

>Note that this is going to get messy for packagers - the packager of
>each java app or library will presumably need to test this app on all
>JVMs with each new release, and will also need to be aware of when each
>JVM makes a new release of its own so they can test their app with the
>new JVM version.

I hope that this won't be the case. Anyway, we had such a situation
with for example flex and so I think thatc an be 'managed' with simple
bugreports.

As for new releases of apps: yes, that means probably some testing.
Like with almost every other package as well..

>This could also create political problems for packagers who will not
>install non-free software on their machines (since policy mandates that
>packagers keep track of which non-free JVMs work as well).

Unfree VM are only sperated by the major.minro version, so I guess,
that if teh readmy states 'You need a 1.4 virtual maschine', than it
should be enought to depend on java-runtime-1.4 and be done with it.
Bugreports will tell you more.

IMO you can depend oon the fact, that all java code will run on this
sun licenced Virtual maschines.

>> As "unfree" virtual maschines of a certain version almost certainly
>> will run code developed for this version, all packages must also use
>> kown working "unfree" interfaces, when they search for a possible
>> java binary.
>I would make this clearer.  I presume you mean that "when searching
>for a known working JVM, non-free JVMs should be included in this search
>list".  However, the text could well be misinterpreted as "the non-free
>JVMs should be used wherever possible, before searching for free JVMs".

How about
--
As "unfree" virtual maschines of a certain version almost
certainly will run code developed for this version, the "unfree"

I don't really mind in which direction this list is searched,
especially as we can't really make asumtion, what 'java' the user
preferes.

Most users will anyway only install one version of a virtual maschine.

>> A package should use ant to build a package ...
>I disagree with this working most strongly. [...]
>I would suggest changing this paragraph to "If a package uses ant to
>build the package, ...".  This section of policy should IMHO be a
>simple "if-else" block, not an explicit push for developers to use ant.

Yes, thats what I wanted to say with this two sections. Changed.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net
     "Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm."