Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 06:58:58PM +0200, Jan Schulz wrote:

> Hallo Matt,
>
> * Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >and not an abstract idea of what is provided.  For example, a package which
> >works with any java2 runtime, but also works with the interfaces provided by
> >kaffe, uses "java2-runtime | kaffe", etc.
>
> The interface java2-runtime means, that /usr/bin/java can be used.

Which is not a useful concept, because almost no nontrivial applications can
work with everything which currently provides /usr/bin/java.

> This is, why I started this Proposal.

I like some of the ideas in your proposal, but things like "Java Runtime
Environments, which are complient to the Java Spec of a specific Version,
have to provide the virtual package [...] and setup alternatives [...]" are
not achievable with the current state of free java.  None of the java
implementations in Debian would be able to provide these virtual packages or
alternatives.  This is a shame, because the free JVMs are able to run a lot
of code, and would benefit from more use and exposure.

--
 - mdz