Moving Ant to main, was Re: Intend to NMU Kaffe 1.1

Takashi Okamoto wrote:

So, ant depends on a lot of packages. Should we put them into main in
the first for putting ant into main?

Almost all of these dependecies are for ant-optional.jar. However, most other Java packages will only need ant.jar to build so I think it makes sense to split ant-1.5.jar into the libant1.5-java package. This way you don't need to install a lot of dependencies when you just want to build your package.

If we manage to move all those dependencies into main, ant-optional.jar will follow - but I don't think this is currently a high priority. I guess we'll then have circular build dependencies in main because some of ant-optional's dependencies will need Ant to build. But this situation is not different than what we have with libc6, gcc and make - it's just hidden by build-essential there.

Stefan