Experience in converting to GCJ

Does anyone have experience they could share in converting a Java DEB to use
GCJ where available.

In particular I want to convert kdebindings so that it can be accepted into
main.

Looking at the configure file, and the bits that make it up, there is some
specific hand coded function to look for various bits of the JVM that
is to be used, much of which does not exist in GCJ.  For a start they
look for an executable called javac, and do not seem to ask
update-alternatives if javac is defined (which would be the Debian
way - or should be).

They then look for java in the bin directory of JAVAHOME, libjvm.so
and then various checks for green libraries, and a bunch of include
files and finish off checking that this java knows about JNI.

Now much of this I suspect is merely being used as a check that
there really is a working SDK present, but some of it may be used
later setting up paths etc.

Thanks in advance for any input

David