Re: ANN: Jetty package on mentors.debian.net

Here is some testing feedback on the jetty-4.2.11-2 deb package.

While I'm a debian user I have not used many of the java packages
before - so appologies if any of these comments are a bit stupid.

The logging is setup with
   <Set name="logOneLine">true</Set>

This should be false as it makes exceptions almost impossible
to read in the log file.

the start and stop methods of the init.d get a little confused
and I often get:

  # /etc/init.d/jetty start
  Starting Jetty 4.2.11 servlet engine using Java from /usr/lib/j2se/1.4: already running.

  # /etc/init.d/jetty stop
  Stopping Jetty 4.2.11 servlet engine: not running.

I have never installed the tomcat deb - so nothing had created the
/usr/share/java/webapps directory.  This caused a nasty startup
exception.

Once I created this directory, I moved onto the next exception which
was java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet

I notice that the jars for this are in /usr/share/java/jetty/ext - shouldn't
they be in /usr/share/java?

I'm not sure yet why the jetty start.jar did not find these jars -
it could be a problem in the start.config.    Eitherway, I think
the start.config should be modified to fit with debian a little
bit better.  For a start I will list /usr/share/java/jetty as one
of the standard locations when searching for jetty.home

start.config then looks for most of it's jars in $(jetty.home)/ext
Either you could symlink the required jars into ext or I could change
the start.config to look for them in $(java.lib.home) and allow that
to be set to /usr/share/java (but default to $(jetty.home)/ext)

That's enough for 1 email.... I'll try to work out what the
classpath issue is on my system.

Thanks for this package!

--
Greg Wilkins<gregw@mortbay.com>             Phone/fax: +44 7092063462