Re: trying to install tomcat 4.1.24 from unstable

>     I'm trying to install Tomcat 4.1.24-2 from the unstable section,
>     and I'm running into a wall.  It depends on "j2re1.4" or
>     "java2-runtime", neither of which seems to exist.  I have
>     installed the Sun JDK 1.4.1_02 manually, so there actually is a
>     Java 1.4 runtime, and I installed the "java-common" package, but I
>     don't know how to get around this unmet dependency.  Do I need to
>     make a dummy package?  I've never packaged anything before, either
>     .deb or .rpm, and while I'd like to learn, a project deadline
>     looms near.

You can try getting the Blackdown runtime in .deb format, which
satisfies the dependency:

   deb http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.blackdown.org/java-linux/debian unstable main non-free

When I installed tomcat last week, I installed j2sdk1.3 and it worked
fine.

Otherwise, if you don't want to do this, check out the 'equivs' package.
You can use it to build a dummy package to provide java2-runtime,
effectively telling dpkg that you already have it installed.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>