Tomcat won't start on reboot

Hi Debian Java dudes,

Can anybody help out on this?

I have been using tomcat for about three years but I can't work it out.

This problem occurs both on one PC running Woody and another running
testing/unstable.

Tomcat will start normally when run from the command line eg:
/etc/init.d/tomcat4 start

However after a reboot tomcat will not start automatically.

I have set the environment variables in /etc/default/tomcat4 and they
are being read correctly from catalina.sh.

It appears to actually try to start but after rebooting the catalina.out
log file reports:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/share/java/j2sdk1.4.2
Process ID of spawned JVM: 8282

Then nothing...

I have tried installing different versions of java including Blackdown
Java 1.4 to no avail.

Strangely though:

If I adjust /etc/init.d/tomcat4 to run tomcat as a foreground process it
will start correctly but obviously nothing else will start until the
process is killed.

i.e adjust:

su -p -s /bin/sh $TOMCAT4_USER \
                        -c "\"$DAEMON\" start $STARTUP_OPTS" \