Re: SWT choice on Eclipse

Hallo David,

* David Goodenough wrote:
>On Tuesday 10 June 2003 18:52, Jan Schulz wrote:
>> In the moment it uses gtk bindings by default and its the only one,
>> which is compiled.
>I notice that this changed along the life of the Debian package, was there a
>reason (none seems to be in the changelog) or just a personal preference?

I'm not aware, that there were once motif bindings. Takashi Okamoto
did the initial packaging and AFAIK the motif bindings were at some
time not anymore compiled. Don't know why, but I think that he came
to the same problem about how to decide, which window system to
use.

>Sorry, my mistake.  It still feels more like a Gnome app than a KDE one,
>and more so than the Motif binding does.  I get the same problem runing
>GnuCash or Xpdf or Gimp or any number of Gtk apps that run perfectly
>well under KDE, they just feel and act slightly different.

Unfortunatelly... And what still bothers me is, that noone wants to
answere, why the CPL can't be used with the QT license (QT is dual
lizens, once gpl and ones the qt licens), which seems to allow to
be used with CPL code. This question was aked several times, but no
'official' answer. And there is already a qt port somwhere at IBM,
as they ship there eclipse based product with somthing QT based
(not sure if that is the complete SWT)

>The launcher is a problem, and actually with a bit of work I have
>always felt that it could perfectly well be done invoking Java directly
>but I never got around to it.  Maybe the right answer is a combination
>of script and Java.

Hava a look at the eclipse start script. If you start it with
'-debug $HOME/.eclipse/debug_options', it already calles java
directly.

The launcher is just doing:
* finding a JVM
* adding a few params (like the WS to use and so on)
* putting up the Splash screen (which can be done from the java
  code as well AFAIK)
* restarting eclipse, when the java code exits with a special error
  number (update manager -> updating plugins)

This all will blow up the script code, but most of the things are
already in place...

>> BTW, there is also a port to FOX, which sounds quite a bit faster
>> than gtk, but is still very alpha software :/ Someone else is trying
>> to port swt on top of swing...
>Yes and I tried to start a KDE binding but got defeated by the license.

I'm still not sure, why this is the case with the QT License...

>> I'm not sure about licens issues with open motive bindings.
>That is something I had not considered, but I thought it used
>Lesstif (which I think is properly open) rather than open motif?

When I compiled still the motif launcher, it used open motif. I
have no idea, hwo to change this. If it can be done, I will give it
a try...

>I get the impression (but I am no expert) that properly explained
>this is not a problem.  Through this list many virtual packages
>have been introduced for Java itself, as there are many implementations,
>and they seemed to get through without great difficulty.

I haven't seen yet, how to introduce a new virtual package, but
yes, everything in my list seem not too hard to introduce.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@gmx.net
     "Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm."