Permissions and Java

I've been having a few problems which are clearly related to permissions and
some which may be.  For example, when I load an app that creates DB tables, I
get a message right away about:

Jun 3, 2003 7:18:03 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$3 run
WARNING: Could not create system preferences directory. System preferences are
unusable.

I had a problem before with logs, when trying to use j2ee (which I still cannot
get to work right :^( ).  In that case, I went into the log directories and
changed permissions to 666, which shut up some of the error messages at least.

Also, I'm trying to do all this as a user, not as root.

msd

"More people have died in the name of religion than have ever died of cancer.
And we try to cure cancer."
  - Kurt Wagner, aka Nightcrawler
    Uncanny X-Men 423