Re: java newbie: gcj can't find its own jars?

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 17:04, Ivo Danihelka wrote:
> It's interesting that both javac and jikes compile it successfuly.

>From the Sun public specifications, section 7.5.2:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/packages.doc.html
<quote>
It is not a compile-time error to name the current package or java.lang
in a type-import-on-demand declaration. The type-import-on-demand
declaration is ignored in such cases.
</quote>

That must be why the other compilers blow it off.  Also, in the same
section, import statements of the form
import package.typename.*
are valid.  (Try compiling with 'import java.math.BigDecimal.*' for
example.)

Looks like a compiler bug to me.  Submitted to upstream maintainer.  Is
there any extra reason to add it to the Debian BTS?

-Jonathan