Problem with awt.Panel

I have an application that uses a borderlayout, where the BorderLayout.CENTER
component is a Panel reference, to a class instance that is a subclass of
Panel. The initial add is fine, and it all works well, however if i do a
remove(Panel) then change the Panel reference to a different subclass of
Panel and do an add(Panel) nothing happens. There are no errors, it just
doesnt show. If i change back to the other instance that doesnt show either.
Both panel instances are initialised at start time, before either is added to
the screen.

Basically my app simply wants to swap which instance is used in the
borderlayout.CENTER without ever destroying either instance, and keeping both
instances in memory.

Any ideas? (blackdown sdk btw)

Thanks

Tom

p.s: sorry for being really crap at trying to explain what is going on.