Kaffe marked remove (was Release-critical Bugreport for May 9, 2003)

On Fri, 9 May 2003, BugScan reporter wrote:

> Bug stamp-out list for May  9 06:09 (CST)
>
> Total number of release-critical bugs: 785
> Number that will disappear after removing packages marked [REMOVE]: 18
[...]
> Package: kaffe (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Ean R. Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com>
> [REMOVE]
>   191866 [     S ] kaffe: Tempfile attack makes arbitrary users able to overwrite files

Why is this package marked remove? It's one of few potentially useful free
Java implementation in Debian. Java programs may have to move to contrib
if there's no kaffe. I can't site any examples as I don't know whether
they work with gij or the immature sablevm [1]... ie I don't have a quick
way to verify a package will only work with Kaffe (I don't have
apt-showpackage right now). Other java implementations in Debian include
Japhar, tya, gcj. According to http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/toplist.html 6
packages are waiting for the new Kaffe to go into testing.

Note bug 191866 was reported May 4th and according to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=kaffe there *was* one
other RC bug that was opened Feb 24 and closed about a month later...

gij 3.3 [2] may be good enough to replace kaffe? gnu classpath, and
libgcj compatibility seems to be better than Kaffe [3], but I don't know
what that means.

I also wonder if there is a more appropriate place/person to ask why
something is marked remove.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2003/debian-java-200304/msg00072.html
packages also shouldn't set their build-deps this way unless they actualy
work with all.
[2] Version status info at http://packages.qa.debian.org/gcc-3.3
[3] http://rainbow.netreach.net/~sballard/japi/

     Drew Daniels