Re: Swing and other free GUIs (KDE?)

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 09:38, E.L. Willighagen wrote:
>  (Are there Gnome bindings too?)
>  Could that be an alternative to build truely free Debian Java GUI
> programs?

There is the java-gnome project which does just this.

I am one of the upstream developers and maintain the debian packages
(main binaries libgtk0-java libgnome0-java).

Unfortunately, it is not yet considered stable. The largest application
to be written using java-gnome is probably bugwatcher (available in the
debbuggtk package), a system for monitoring Debian package bug listings.
In developing this, I have had to make a number of changes to the
java-gnoem source; if you want to develop applications with java-gnome
at this stage, you would probably have to do the same (but hopefully to
a smaller extent :). java-gnome is getting better, but is not yet
perfect.

Advantages of java-gnome:
- Completely free
- Seems much faster (difference between it and native gtk is hardly
noticable on modern machines)
- Full gnome support - applications will fit in well with a Linux
desktop and can take advantage of such things as gconf, gnome session
management, various gnome widgets.
- (IMHO) A much nicer API to work with
--
  .''`. Mark Howard