Re: Strange error after upgrading to 1.4.1

>>> Darryl L Pierce writes:

> I just upgraded my work machine to Blackdown's 1.4.1 package, having
> previously used 1.3.1 for development. Now, when I run my ANT
> script, I'm seeing the following error message:

> run:
> Mar 27, 2003 9:54:11 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$3 run
> WARNING: Could not create system preferences directory. System
> preferences are unusable.

> I've deleted the ~/.java directory and have let the JDK rebuild it,
> but I still keep seeing the above error after the directory's been
> recreated. Any ideas?

I've not used the blackdown 1.4.1 yet, but I have used the sun
1.4.1. I seem to recall a similar problem with it at first - running
the app (or any app) once as root created the required system prefs
and from then on it was quite happy to run apps as a normal user
(without making the system prefs world writable).

--

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk
  Maths and Computer Science,     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk/~glaycock