Re: policy suggestion: API docs are not for users

Just my 2$ worth, but I use Ant in two different ways:

Firstly I use Ant to automate my development effort, building components
and apps and deploying to my app server etc.

I also use Ant as a installation tool for applications I send to users.
So I sent a mini copy of Ant, my app source (or binaries) and a build
script. Normally I kick it off with a "install" shell script or
something. They use Ant almost by proxy, and so dont really need the
docs etc.

This is the way the J2EE Petstore (was|is) distributed.

HTH

Ben

<wrote who="Alexander Popiel">

> > Ant is as much a framework as a tool;
>
> Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that much about ant - I had thought
> it was a mere application.
>
> When you say frequently, how often do you mean. I personally have never
> had to extend ant (and so never needed the api). Do you disagree that it
> would be worthwhile to split the package into one containing the core
> manual and an additional one with the api docs and any advanced manual?
> (sorry, haven't looked at the package in detail so don't know exactly
> what this might be).
</wrote>

--
mail: ben@javacoder.net