Re: libc upgrade has broken jdk 1.3?

    Greg> But isn't the whole library versioning thing meant to solve
    Greg> this sort of things?  why isn't the old libc kept about as
    Greg> an explicit version that java can link directly to?

I suggest you consider the output of

    objdump -x /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/jre/lib/i386/classic/libjvm.so | grep NEED

and

    objdump -x /bin/bash | grep NEED

and try to establish how you might keep two libc6 libraries on the
system simultaneously.

    Greg> Isn't there something we can do to change libjvm to
    Greg> explicitly link to the old version of the lib?

Juergen has pointed out to me that if I build the 1.4 .debs in a
stable chroot they would still run but would lose the annoying
dependecy on libc6 (>> 2.3.1).  I keep meaning to get around to this.

That would not, however, prevent you from need to upgrade to j2se1.4
if you've already upgaded to libc6 2.3.1.

--
Stephen

To Republicans, limited government means not assisting people they
would sooner see shoveled into mass graves. -- Kenneth R. Kahn