Re: Help installing SDK+JRE

On Friday 25 October 2002 11:44, Erik Browaldh wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Im a newcommer in the Linux-world, therefore, all kind of help may be
> help :-)
>
> I have problems installing these self-extracting files
> j2re-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin
> j2sdk-1_4_1_01linux-i586.bin
>
> I've put them under /root/usr/local , where I try to extract them
> after reading the license-agreement, unpacking process starts
>
> but when trying to write a Javaprogram, javac cant be found, why??

because your shell does not know where the javac binary is located.
I'd suggest you extract the files to /usr/local, then add the jdk bin
directory to you path, like this:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/bin
and then export your classpath like this:
export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/lib/rt.jar:.

some applications need some more environment variables so you might have to
to do the following as well:
export JAVA_PATH=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/
export JDK_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/

(it probably makes sense if you put all this stuff in some of your shell
startup files, like ~/.bashrc for bash or ~/.cshrc for tcsh)

cheers,
Yven

--

Yven Johannes Leist - leist@beldesign.de