Re: libnbio-java versioning

> >>I maintain libnbio-java, which is a JNI non-blocking socket IO package
> >>for Java.  My current .deb is for upstream version 1.5.  The upstream
> >>maintainer has just released version 2.0, and the only difference from
> >>version 1.5 is that the package name changed from mdw.java to seda.java.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should release version 2.0 as
> >>an upgrade to the existing package, or whether I should instead release
> >>a new package, libnbio2-java?

> >I'd strongly recommend a new package for this one; otherwise, all
> >the software that relies on the code (in either the old or new
> >java package) would have to stick specific version info into the
> >dependencies, which is normally a sub-optimal thing.

> Yeap. Do something like libc does. Package it as a new package with
> version appended to the name and when new version is in the archive,
> remove the old version. Then hopefully by the time sarge is out, any
> packages that need to get fixed, will get fixed.

Sorry about not replying sooner... I got swamped at work.

I agree: it seems like it makes sense to release a libnbio2-java package
and then later remove the libnbio-java package.  The upstream author
wants to deprecate 1.x anyway, and besides, it doesn't look like there
are currently any other Debian packages that depend on libnbio-java.

I guess what bothers me about this is that it will kind of be a surprise
for anyone that's using this libnbio-java package when it disappears.
Anyone who's using it will have to change all of their code before
going on, and that might be find of frustrating, especially if it was
an upgrade from woody-stable to sarge-stable that broke their code.
Admittedly, the change isn't a big deal in this case, but still...

How do I handle this?  Or do I even need to?  What's "the Debian way"
when it comes to this sort of thing... or is that a question to ask on
-devel?

Thanks for the help.  (Again, please CC me on responses.)

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@ieee.org>
Personal Homepage: http://www.skyjammer.com/~pronovic/