Re: libnbio-java versioning

T. Alexander Popiel wrote:

In message:  <[🔎] 20020802014811.GA4734@skyjammer.com>
            Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@skyjammer.com> writes:
I maintain libnbio-java, which is a JNI non-blocking socket IO package
for Java.  My current .deb is for upstream version 1.5.  The upstream
maintainer has just released version 2.0, and the only difference from
version 1.5 is that the package name changed from mdw.java to seda.java.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should release version 2.0 as
an upgrade to the existing package, or whether I should instead release
a new package, libnbio2-java?

Please CC me on replies...

I'd strongly recommend a new package for this one; otherwise, all
the software that relies on the code (in either the old or new
java package) would have to stick specific version info into the
dependencies, which is normally a sub-optimal thing.

- Alex

Yeap. Do something like libc does. Package it as a new package with version appended to the name and when new version is in the archive, remove the old version. Then hopefully by the time sarge is out, any packages that need to get fixed, will get fixed.