Re: Success with IBM JDK 1.3.0 for PPC _WITH_ JIT

Josh Huber writes:
> Rick Lutowski <rick@jreality.com> writes:

>> Yes, it's a _much_ bigger problem than generally realized.
>> 1. No Java Plug-in = no Java 2 for browsers
>> 2. No Java 2 for browsers = no Java 3D for browsers
>> 3. No Java 3D for browsers = no 3D for the Web
>
> And this is a problem why?  IMHO, the web is much nicer
> without java & flash.

You prefer VBscript and ActiveX controls then? That's what
you encourage. Java must run everywhere, else we have no
argument against 100% Microsoft solutions.

What is so bad about Java and Flash anyway?

You hate animations? That's your problem. Don't load
any images either.

Security worries? This is why we need LGPL interpreters
for Java and Flash. In any case, Java sure beats
doing an "xhost +" or using Wine to run a *.exe file.

Crashes? Same deal: we need LGPL interpreters.

Windows that pop open when you close them? If you
have the source code, you can add an option to
prevent this. Better yet, you could have the
browser offer to disable Java/Flash/Javascript
for any site that appears to have bad behavior.

Email that lets a spammer know you have read it?
The obvious solution is to limit remote site
access in email, and don't use a web-mail service
that doesn't offer filtering.

Really, I think you're helping Microsoft. Imagine
all your favorite web sites needing VBscript.