Re: Java Policy.

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:

> Hi
>
> When we now have (almost) got woody out of the door I think it
> is time to give the Proposed Java Policy a more official state
> (i.e. not proposed anymore).
>
> It is available at:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~opal/java/policy.html/
> The actual policy is avalable at:
> http://people.debian.org/~opal/java/policy.html/policy.html
>
> Some of it have to be rewritten so it states that it is no
> longer a proposed policy (when it is accepted).
>
> It anyone have comments on it please let me know.

  2.5. Main, contrib or non-free

  <snip/>

  If your binary package can run only with non-free virtual machines
  (the only free Java virtual machine seems to be kaffe - and the one
  included in libgcj), it cannot go to main. If your package itself is
  free, it must go to contrib.

There are many other free JVMs now: ORP, KissMe, etc... The Classpath
page at GNU references them:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath

Nic Ferrier
GNU ClasspathX maintainer.