Re: ant: Modern compiler is not available

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:

>   Hey gang. I just started using ant and can't compile anything.
>   Unfortunately, Stefan can't reproduce the following. Perhaps one of
>   you has seen this and found the fix...
>
>   I have the j2sdk1.3 package installed which populates both
>   /usr/lib/j2re1.3 and /usr/lib/j2sdk1.3; I've set JAVA_HOME to both.
>   I've also made the link to tools.jar in /usr/share/ant/lib per ant's
>   README.debian, all to no avail. Any other suggestions greatly
>   appreciated.

I don't  know why but it  seems that the  ant script does not  set the
java_home variable. You can add these lines in the /usr/bin/ant file:

# you already have this line
#!/bin/sh

# add these 4 lines
if [ -z "$JAVA_HOME" ]; then
  JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/j2sdk1.3"
fi
export JAVA_HOME

# OK leave the rest of the file

# Load default settings from config file (if it exists)
if [ -f "$HOME/.antrc" ]; then
  . "$HOME/.antrc"
fi

Hope it helps. Sorry for the delay.