Re: Experimental Tomcat 4.0.2 package

Stefan Gybas wrote:

> I found the problem: It seems that JDK 1.3 does follow symlinks while
> JDK 1.4 does not. The JARs are all in /usr/share/java/ with symlinks from
> /usr/share/tomcat4/{server,common}/lib/ (in the class path). You have to add
> this to catalina.policy so the XML parser (from /usr/share/java/xerces.jar)
> can read server.xml on JDK 1.3:

Just want to be sure I understand the environment setup here.
Assume you are using JDK 1.4 on debian (not Red Hat, Mandrake,
etc.)  Also assume this is Sun 1.4 since blackdown 1.4 is not
yet released.  Are these correct assumptions?  Or perhaps some
of you on this list have access to pre-release blackdown 1.4?

I ask all this because I recall trying Sun 1.3 on debian
before blackdown was out and had to back off to 1.2 until
debian was released due to some behavior problems (do not
recall the details).  Figured this was because Sun tests
on Red Hat, but not debian.  As a result, I always use
blackdown on debian, never Sun (and am still waiting for
blackdown 1.4).  Used to use Sun on RH and it works fine
there (well, except on RH 7.0, which had a buggy glibc!)

Rick
--
                  Rick
                  Lutowski