Re: New on the list - java on debian?

On  0, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

> Max> Does gcj support loading new .JAR files dynamically at run-time
> Max> like with its .WAR files at all (i.e. creating custom ClassLoader
> Max> implementations)? I can hardly imagine how it implements that
>
> libgcj includes a bytecode interpreter.  I'm always amazed that people
> don't know that.  It has been in the code for over 2 years now.

I don't know very much about libgcj, although I'm very interested.

So if libgcj interprets the bytecode of dynamically loaded classes (or even whole applications like it is the case in Tomcat), this means that they do not run at native speed. They run at the speed of libgcj's integrated JVM. If my guess is correct, this means that libgcj can hardly be faster than a JVM with a good JIT (e.g. IBM is know for its very fast JIT).

Is it planned to support natively compiled .JAR classes which can be loaded using custom (pure Java) ClassLoader instances?