Re: New on the list - java on debian?

Steffen Evers <mldeb@forevers.de> writes:

> I would like to get Java running on my Debian box.
> What is the best procedure?

apt-get install java-virtual-machine

This will list all available packages providing a JVM. Select one and
install it via apt-get.

> I have heard about various different Javas: Sun, IBM, Blackdown,
> Kafe(?), ...
> So, I wonder what the differences are and which advantages each has.

"kaffe" is a free implementation of a Java 1.1 runtime environment, with
partial 1.2/1.3 support. No compiler.

Intel's Open Runtime Platform is another free VM, forming a runtime
environment together with GNU classpath, installable as "orp". This
one is only for the i386 architecture; support for ia64 is in the
works.

The following two options are not DFSG-free, and therefore discouraged
unless you definitely need functionality.

There is Blackdown's port of the Sun JVM to Linux. This is available
as "jdk1.1" (runtime), "jdk1.1-dev" (compiler, etc.), and maybe in the
future as "j2re1.3" (runtime), "j2sdk1.3" (compiler). Biggest
advantage is Java2 support, obviously. And it has more-or-less exactly
the official Sun bug^Wfeatures.

The IBM Java Developer Kit is not even distributable, so Debian only
has an installer package for it. Not sure about the advantages of this
one.

Have I forgotten something?

--
Robbe