Re: org/w3c/dom duplicates in lib-dom-java and lib-openxml-java,libxerces-java!

andrew@pimlott.ne.mediaone.net (Andrew Pimlott) writes:
> For interfaces, it may be ok to require only one
> instance (even that is arguable), but for the classes, it is not
> fair to allow only one implementation.

Argh, I just deleted the mail showing who suggested this, but I really
like the idea of using virtual packages to indicate public standards, and
let each package that provides those standards implement them however
they like.

My only concern is that specifying them by namespace could get extremely
unwieldy after a very short while.  Perhaps a more descriptive name would
be easier, such as w3c-dom-parser, w3c-dom1-parser, w3c-dom2-parser, and
so on might be easier for humans to read.  On the other hand, if you know
you need org.w3.dom.*, I can see how it'd be easier to say "Requires:
org-w3-dom-parser".  Eh, just a thought.

-=Eric
--
Those who know how to play can easily leap over the adversaries of
life.  And one who knows how to sing and laugh never brews mischief.