Re: Java libraries and proposal.

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:14:24PM +0100, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> Comments inline:
>
> Ola Lundqvist wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have followed the java instalation issues thread. So I'l try
> > to summarize and give some new proposals.
> >
> > Java libraries:
> > * Java libraries should go to /usr/share/java if they are
> >   jar files and /usr/share/java/repository if they are a collection
> >   of classes.
> > * Usage of jar files should be encouraged because they can
> >   be versioned.
> > * The jar file should be named name-version.jar and defaults
> >   should be a symbolic link with the name name.jar
> >   Quite the same way as C-libraries.
>
> Naming the jars with a package name convention would reduce name
> clashes.  For example there may be several XML parsers with a parser.jar
> These should be named:
>
>     com.sun.parser.jar
>     org.apache.parser.jar
>
> etc.

Well to me it seems that this system will have some name clashes.
Why not use the debian package name?

> For my own stuff I specify the package name to the first branch in the
> package nameing.
>
> This convention will also encourage common classes to NOT be included
> in many jar files (eg javax.servlet.* or org.sax.* etc.).
>
> I don't think this naming policy should be policed, only encouraged.

I absolutely agree.

> It should also indicate JVM dependancies  eg  ">1.2.2 & !ibm1.3.2"

Is this not better to have in the usual dependency in control...
well maybe not...

... It is actually a quite good idéa.

> It would be good to have a common shell script include that would
> build classpaths and check JVM dependancies that could be included
> in start scripts.

Ok. I can do that but first I want suggestions on what that script
should handle and some file structure. :)

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |