Re: Provides: java-servlet-engine - the ongoing saga

Hey Greg,
sorry for the lack of communication re Jetty - work has been
beyond busy at the moment - I hope to get something done this
weekend providing I don't have to work!
* Greg Wilkins (gregw@mortbay.com) wrote :

> I'm not on the debian-java list, so I may have missed some
> postings on this, but here is my 2c anyway.
>
> Thom May wrote:
>
> > Right. Here we go again. As it may be obvious by now, I'm quite
> > keen to get this done. (I'm packaging up Jetty at the moment,
> > which is a servlet-2.2 compatible engine.)
>
> Jetty is also a HTTP/1.1 www server.   I don't know how that can
> be modelled nicely, as most containers also provide HTTP. In some
> it is just a token effort, but in Jetty it is the main thrust of
> the package.

I'm _hoping_ that web services are not really relevant to this -
I certainly can't see any way they should be.

> > 2) Webapps are drawn from /usr/share/java/webapps and the
> > libraries are drawn from /usr/share/java .
> >
> > 3) JSPs should be useable from /var/www/*.jsp - this complies
> > with debian webserver guidelines.
>
> You will have to clarify how these relate to a webapp?  Is a
> new webapp created and configured at /var/www ?  If so, then
> static content could also be served.  In fact /var/www could
> just be a default webapp, ie it could have a /var/www/WEB-INF

This introduces a couple of issues, but I think this is the way
to go. The main issue is for the server to introduce into
apache/whichever webserver the necessary configuration to protect
the WEB-INF directory.

> This would clarify the issue of Context paths:
>
>  /var/www  contextPath = /
>  /usr/share/java/webapps/myApp    contextPath = /myApp/*
>

> > Points to look into:
> >
> > 1) Apache modules are able to add their LoadModule lines to
> > /etc/apache/httpd.conf even though that is a conf file. is it
> > worth investigating a mechanism (possibly using
> > update-alternatives) to allow global contexts to be added to a
> > servlet engine?
>
> is it worth considering a webapps.conf file in /etc/java somewhere that
> describes all the webapps:
It's a good idea. The only trouble is how to integrate it with
the server setup. If the server could use Xinclude when it
parses the server config file - and we could _guarantee_ that -
then it's a great idea. However, I was addressing Stefan's point
with regard to global context mappings - ie, when cocoon was
installed, how would the package automatically install a /*.xml
mapping to the global web.xml

>   / /var/www
>   * /usr/share/java/webapps/*
>   /local /usr/local/mySpecialWebApp