Re: Provides: java-servlet-engine - the ongoing saga

I'm not on the debian-java list, so I may have missed some
postings on this, but here is my 2c anyway.

Thom May wrote:

Right. Here we go again. As it may be obvious by now, I'm quite
keen to get this done. (I'm packaging up Jetty at the moment,
which is a servlet-2.2 compatible engine.)

Jetty is also a HTTP/1.1 www server.   I don't know how that can
be modelled nicely, as most containers also provide HTTP. In some
it is just a token effort, but in Jetty it is the main thrust of
the package.

2) Webapps are drawn from /usr/share/java/webapps and the
libraries are drawn from /usr/share/java .

3) JSPs should be useable from /var/www/*.jsp - this complies
with debian webserver guidelines.

You will have to clarify how these relate to a webapp? Is a new webapp created and configured at /var/www ? If so, then
static content could also be served.  In fact /var/www could
just be a default webapp, ie it could have a /var/www/WEB-INF

This would clarify the issue of Context paths:

/var/www  contextPath = /
/usr/share/java/webapps/myApp    contextPath = /myApp/*

Points to look into:

1) Apache modules are able to add their LoadModule lines to
/etc/apache/httpd.conf even though that is a conf file. is it
worth investigating a mechanism (possibly using
update-alternatives) to allow global contexts to be added to a
servlet engine?

is it worth considering a webapps.conf file in /etc/java somewhere that
describes all the webapps:

 / /var/www
 * /usr/share/java/webapps/*
 /local /usr/local/mySpecialWebApp