Re: debian-powerpc: how do I run a java app

First off, some of your questions are for example answered on
debian-java at the start of the "new on this list" thread that is
still active (but whose topic drifted). Scanning the list archives
helps.

Brendan J Simon <brendan.simon@bigpond.com> writes:

> I'm trying to run a java app.  How do install and use java ?
> It looks like there are different java runtime environemnts I can use
> (eg. kaffe, gcj, etc). I don't anything about them or how to use them.
> Which is the best and easiest to use with Debian ? ie. what can I
> "apt-get install" and get it to work out of the box ? Do I need to
> setup environment variables ???

Its Debian policy that a binary should not need environment variables
to work. Most Debian packages -- definitely all Java VMs -- work
out-of-the box. If not, you're experiencing a bug.

Java VMs that provide a front-end that is compatible with Sun's have
this (also) available under the command name "java".

  apt-get install java-virtual-machine
should present you with a list of VMs available for your dist and
architecture.

There are also a few packages providing "java-compiler".

--
Robbe