Re: New on the list - java on debian?

Max> So if libgcj interprets the bytecode of dynamically loaded
Max> classes (or even whole applications like it is the case in
Max> Tomcat), this means that they do not run at native speed. They
Max> run at the speed of libgcj's integrated JVM. If my guess is
Max> correct, this means that libgcj can hardly be faster than a JVM
Max> with a good JIT (e.g. IBM is know for its very fast JIT).

libgcj has a run-of-the-mill interpreter in it.  It isn't very fast,
in fact it is quite slow.  Nobody has made a JIT for libgcj yet, but
it wouldn't be hard.  You could probably plug in the ORP JIT without
too much effort.

Java programs compiled with gcj are comparable in speed to a good
JIT.  However, we haven't spent a lot of time doing performance tuning
yet.  So there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Max> Is it planned to support natively compiled .JAR classes which can
Max> be loaded using custom (pure Java) ClassLoader instances?

You can already compile a Java library into a `.so' file and libgcj
will automatically load it for you.  For instance, the libgcj
`Class.forName()' searches for such `.so's.

Tom