Re: java2-*-dummy packages rejected

Hi Ola!

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 02:52:13PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> > 	along with the latest java-common. Since j2sdk/j2re is also not yet
> > 	installed into the archive (is this going to happen ?) we are
> > 	currently in a bind with our recent java1/2 policy plans.
> >
> > 	What happens now ? According to the URL above, the dummy
> > 	packages can't be installed into 'main' because they can only be
> > 	satisfied by non-free packages - can we install the dummy
> > 	packages into non-free then ? or is there a more general problem
> > 	there ?
>
> They will go to contrib.

	ok. cool.

> I have one question to you all though.
>
> Is the dummy packages needed at all?
> The ftp-master did not really like them and I can understand him.

	IMHO I think they are needed to give people the freedom of JVM
	choice, without us enforcing JVM requirements through package
	dependancies. Even if we put that point aside, I think they are
	still needed at least until we have j2sdk/j2re officially in the
	archive.

	My 2c AUD. :-)

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   Managesoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'     Email : Marcus.Crafter@managesoft.com
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&: