Jikes RVM - IBM's Free virtual machine for Java

Hi!

IBM has released their Java virtual machine "Jikes RVM" (formerly known as
"Jalapeno") under the CPL
("http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/license-cpl.html";).

It is described at
"http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/";.  Basically it is
a Java virtual machine written in Java (!) that executes itself as well
as the app it is let loose at after some kind of bootstrapping magic.
They (currently) support Linux on i386 and PPC.

Non-free class libraries for Jikes RVM can be downloaded separately.
AFAICT their license prevents Debian from distributing them.  Possibly
IBM can be coaxed into releasing them too under at least a non-free
license that permits re-distribution, but that's just speculation.  It
may or may not be possible to replace them with something available from
somewhere else.

Anyway, I think that someone with more of a clue about Java in Debian
than me should definitely take a look at it.

  Have fun! //Johan

--
Johan Walles                     WWW: http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d92-jwa
Vultejusvägen 40                 Home: +46(8)371657    /   Great minds run   |