Re: [Jikesrvm-researchers] Congratulations on Jikes-RVM 2.0 - questions about licensing.

"Michael Hind" <hindm@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Kevin,
>
>      Thanks for your interest and encouragement regarding Jikes RVM.  The team
> is happy to provide a system that others will find useful.

Thanks for your speedy response.

> You are correct that the license for the libraries is more restrictive than
> the license governing the core RVM.  I agree this is not ideal. The reason for
> this is addressed in the Q&A Overview (first link on left navigational menu),
> question 12, including here for convenience.
>
>    12. Why are different licenses used for the Jikes RVM and the libraries?
>
>    The Jikes RVM is released under the CPL (Common Public License), which has
> been approved by the OSI (Open Source Initiative) as a fully certified open
> source license. The Jikes RVM was written as a test-bed for evaluating new
> virtual machine technologies.  Research in library issues was not a major
> goal. However, a VM is not useful without a minimal set of libraries. The
> libraries available with the Jikes RVM were developed independently by
> developers at Object Technology International, an IBM company. Although the
> library license is not an open source license, it does facilitate open source
> development of the RVM. We encourage any users who would like to develop open
> source libraries that work with Jikes RVM.

Ah.  I must have missed this.

It is a shame that IBM can't also Open Source this code as well.  It would be
nice to try and merge the best parts from both the JLibrary and GNU Classpath
projects so that we can have the best of both worlds.

Approaching JDK 1.4 API compatibility is a lofty goal.

> You wrote
>
> > I would suggest that a sub-project be started to integrate
> > the code from GNU Classpath which should be able to replace the JLibrary
> code.
>
> As the last sentence says, we would also encourage such an activity.
<snip>

Excellent.

Thanks for the response.

Kevin

- --

   Need a good Engineer?  Hire me!  ( Java | P2P | XML | Linux | Open Source )

        Jabber - burtonator@jabber.org,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. - John Lennon