Re: jpackage project presentation

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 20:25, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Hello folks.
>
> I would like to present jpackage project here, as it seems we have similar
> goals:
> 1 - to provide packaged java application for linux distributions
> 2 - to establish a clean fhs-compliant policy for them.
> See project homepage for further details (jpackage.sourceforge.net).

That sounds great. If you browse the archive of debian-java you will find
an discussion about the need for a cross-platform java policy of naming etc.
This resulted in an ongoing developement of a new Debian Java policy.

I am very interested in merging development of this Java policy of packaging
(and with me more i guess)...

Some items that were discussed:
- package naming
- jar file naming
- jar location
- location extracted jar trees
- JVM version requirements

There are some tools developed to resolve classpaths needed for JVM's
and other things that make life for a Java packager easier...
I myself developed a tool that outputs the required jar files from a set
of jar files which satisfies the "imported" classes in the Java source
code...

kind regards,

Egon