Re: The proposed java policy have now moved.

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:27:10PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> 	I'm just wondering if such fine grain control is necessary ?

Yes I think so.

> 	If all jvm packages out there specified whether they were java1-runtime
> 	or java2-runtime compliant (or both), then all java packages could
> 	depend on the runtime they require ?

With this sheme it is possible to create a package that only provides
the binary java (with a couple of other usefulthings) and an other package
providing the core classes. I'm updating the policy right now because it
want to fix the dependencies.

> 	This eliminates the need for java-virtual-machine alltogether, and
> 	places the level or control at the runtime version number.
>
> 	Or would there be cases where that would cause problems ?

Yes if there are pacakges that only have the binary and depends on
the core classes from some other package. Quite like jikes but for a
virtual machine instead.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |