Re: Need Help to configure tomcat and set up virtual host

You'd be better off asking this on the Tomcat list,
tomcat-users@jakarta.apache.org (after subscribing).

It looks pretty easy if you use Tomcat in conjunction with Apache. Read the
comment above the mod_webapp connector section in server.xml. You need to add
this to your httpd.conf:

  LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
  WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
  WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/

Then "all applications you make visible via "WebAppDeploy" directives can be
accessed through Apache.". So add WebAppDeploy lines for those you want to have
servlet access, and use straight Apache for those you don't.

On my box, these were the steps:
 - Download mod_webapp from
   http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/bin/
 - Copy or symlink mod_webapp.so to /usr/lib/apache/1.3/
 - Add the following lines to the end of your /etc/apache/httpd.conf

LoadModule webapp_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_webapp.so

WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
<VirtualHost localhost>
DocumentRoot /home/jeff/public_html
ServerName localhost
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
</VirtualHost>

Apache starts fine, but I get "java.io.IOException: Premature packet
header end" errors.. oh well, perhaps you'll have better luck. They
don't call it beta for nothing.

--Jeff