Re: [Fwd: Manifests are dangerous (Re: Symlinking jars is dangerous)]

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:24:38AM +0930, Michael Gratton wrote:

> This should have gone to the list..
>
> --
> ? Mike Gratton - mike@vee.net
> ! Leader in leachate production and transmission since 1976.
>  > http://web.vee.net/

> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:13:01 +0930
> From: Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
> To: Joe Emenaker <joe@emenaker.com>
> Subject: Re: Manifests are dangerous (Re: Symlinking jars is dangerous)
>

> Joe Emenaker wrote:
>
> > I'm not really an advocate of the symlinking idea, but am I the only one
> > that thinks that this manifesat classpath thing is psychotic?
> >

> I actually think it's pretty cool. It may be questionable to use on a
> server, but is massively useful for client-side applications.
>
> Getting someone to run `java -jar MyApp.jar` is *so* much easier than
> trying to cope with every platform's (UNIX, Windows, MacOS) different
> way of specifiying a classpath.
>

> > So I'm not free to rename or move a jar that refers (or is referred to)
> > unless I move all of the "family" in parallel?
>

> Well, you use Debian, so you could use symlinks.
>

> > Is there anything to prevent circular references?
> >

> Not sure. I doubt it.

I just read the spec. And yes circular dependencies are handled as
far as I can tell.

> > It *looks* like this was someone's attempt at reducing the amount of stuff
> > people had to specify on the command-line or in ENV vars... but this is just
> > the wrong way to do it, IMHO.
>

> I can't think of a *more convenient* way to do it, without resorting to
> custom classloaders, or platform-specific scrips, or whatever.

I think it is nice if used in a proper way.

> > What if someone releases two jars and foo.jar's manifest makes reference to
> > "../../../../../../../../bar.jar"? Am I faced with either putting bar.jar in
> > my root dir or not using the package at all?
>

> Ahh, well they're stupid then. Really, there's no point for someone to
> reference a jar in that fashion - that is an abuse of the mechanism. And
> would you really want to use software written by someone with such a
> blatant lack of clue? 8)
>
> What would you do if a program forced you to create the directory:
> /Joe/Blogs/Program/Data? Would you a) use it, b) get it fixed, c) fix it
> yourself or d) use another program that did the same thing?

Agreed.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |