Re: Symlinking jars is dangerous (Re: The evils of /usr/share/java/repository)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:13:49PM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:

> > Another point about lib/ext. The JVM treats all jars in lib/ext as
> > priveleged, like java.lang.*.
>
> It goes beyond this; policy should not say *anything* about lib/ext at all
> because our system has to support all available JVMs, not just sun ports.
> Think kaffe, orp, etc.

Ah right. Actually, it's not a Sun-specific issue, it's a 1.2-specific
issue.

  "The extension mechanism is a new feature in the JavaTM 1.2 platform.
  The extension mechanism provides a standard, scalable way to make
  custom APIs available to all applications running on the Java
  platform."

  -- http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ext/

So kaffe doesn't have a lib/ext, I presume, but any 1.2-compliant VM
should.

--Jeff